# About MitID
MitID (opens new window) is a new electronic ID in Denmark, replacing NemID. It is a collaboration between the Danish banks and the Danish public sector. This alliance forms a nationwide solution and provides a secure authentication mechanism for all citizens in Denmark. People in Denmark can use MitID for online banking, Digital Post, communication with public authorities, identifying themselves in other digital services, and more.
# Try it out
Here is how the MitID login box will look for the end-users. Since it is a demo, any username and password will work:
For more information about the user interface, see for example Authentication flows for the end-user.
# Time plan
MitID will be available in mid-2021. There will be a transition period where you can use both NemID and MitID, although NemID will be phased out at the beginning of 2022.
Signicat will provide a MitID version in the pre-production environment from 6. April 2021. This allows you to start preparing and implementing your solution before the go-live date on 6. May 2021. If you would like to start the implementation before 6. April 2021, please contact Signicat at email@example.com.
# Contact Signicat for more information
Signicat will continuously add content to this page reflecting the status of the integration.
To keep updated on the development progress, you can sign up for the latest news by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Signicat will be happy to assist you in ordering and setting up MitID. Please, contact Signicat at email@example.com for more information.
# Key features of MitID
This is an overview of important features in MitID:
- A common, national identity and authentication solution.
- Public actors, financial institutions and other private service providers can only use MitID through certified brokers.
- Secure login supporting all three levels of assurance (LoA) from eIDAS, Low, Substantial and High:
- Low authenticates the user with single-factor authentication, e.g. with password or chip. Low is not available in NemID.
- Substantial authenticates the user with a two-factor authenticator combination, e.g. with the MitID app on a smart phone.
- High authenticates the user with a more advanced two-factor authenticator combination, e.g. the MitID app + chip.
- Integrate with Signicat's signing solution so end-users can electronically sign documents using MitID.
# Further reading
- Migration from NemID to MitID
- Authentication (features)
- Signing (features)
- Frontend setup
- Integrating with MitID through Signicat
- Test information
- Requirements for MitID service providers
# Other sources
- Information to the public about MitID on the Digitaliseringssyrelsen website (opens new window) (in Danish)
- Signicat external web site (opens new window)