# MobileID InApp upgrade guide
Signicat MobileID uses Encap Security (opens new window) technology, which is a proven, certified, banking-grade security solution for mobile applications.
Encap Security releases new versions of its client and server APIs, with unified version numbering, about three times per year. New releases of Signicat MobileID reflect the Encap Security releases in order to continuously improve the service and fulfill our customers' security requirements.
Encap Security requires compatibility between the client and the server, motivated by the fact that it is a security product and shall be updated regularly. Encap follows the paradigm of approximately two-year backward compatibility between the client and the server.
Hence it is the release dates which are relevant for compatibility between the client and the server, not the actual version numbers. There can be intermediate patches, such as 3.9.x, which both Signicat and its customers should upgrade to as soon as possible.
# Latest version of the Encap client and server solution
The latest release of Encap is version 3.10, released in August 2019.
# Current version of Encap used by the MobileID service
The current release of the Encap server that the Signicat MobileID solution uses is version 3.11, supporting Encap client versions 3.5 to 3.11.
# Upgrade plan for the MobileID service
This is the preliminary upgrade plan for the MobileID service:
|MobileID service upgrade||Encap server version||Encap release date||Compatible Encap client versions||Comments|
|13 Oct 2020||3.9||Dec 2019||3.5 - 3.9|
|3.10||Q2 2020||3.5 - 3.10||This version was skipped in MobileID|
|Q2 2021||3.11||Q4 2020||3.5 - 3.11||Currently used by the MobileID service|
|3.12||Q1 2021||3.7 - 3.12||This version will be skipped in MobileID|
|Q3 2021||3.13||Q2 2021||3.7 - 3.13|
# Upgrade process
Signicat regularly sends notifications to its customers regarding updates to the MobileID service. The notifications contain information about new service releases, along with details on which client versions will need to be upgraded at what point in time.
We advise our customers to prepare the upgrade of their apps to use the latest Encap client version as soon as possible, even if backward compatibility indicates that it is possible to keep using the current version.
The upgrade process is illustrated in the following steps, reflecting version numbers relevant at the time of writing. The MobileID service currently runs version 3.11 and clients run versions 3.5 - 3.11.
- Customers upgrade their clients to version 3.11 (the latest compatible Encap client version) in order to ensure compatibility with the next server version, 3.13. Refer to the 'Compatible Encap client versions' column in the upgrade plan table above.
- Signicat notifies its customers of the pending upgrade of the MobileID service to version 3.13 with the planned service window and a list of new features.
- Signicat upgrades the MobileID service to version 3.13 of the Encap server and notifies its customers when the new version is in production.
- Customers upgrade their clients to version 3.13 (the latest compatible Encap client version).
# Further reading
- MobileID InApp overview
- Mobile app-initiated operations via OIDC
- Mobile app-initiated operations: URL construction
- Mobile app-initiated operations: Finalise operation
- Backend-initiated operations via OIDC
- Backend-initiated operations: URL construction
- Backend-initiated operations: Finalise operation
- MobileID InApp electronic signatures
- MobileID InApp upgrade guide