# Estonian ID (EstEID)
EstEID is a personal electronic ID, which can be used for secure electronic identification and signing.
The following example illustrates a typical login session with an EstID card. The actual screens may have a different graphical profile in your setup.
- The user inserts the ID card into the card reader and selects Continue.
- The user provides his/her personal PIN code.
- The user is authenticated from the certificate on the ID card.
The following example illustrates a typical signature process with an EstEID card. The actual screens may have a different graphical profile in your setup.
- The user is instructed about the signature process.
- The user should read the content of the document.
- After pressing “Sign”, the user must insert the ID card into the card reader.
- The user confirms and approves the content.
- The user enters the PIN code. The user's smart card must be inside the card reader. The user selects “bekreft” (confirm) to sign the document.
- The signing is complete.
# Install the EstID client sofware
You can find and install the EstID client software from https://www.id.ee/en/article/install-id-software/ (opens new window).
You can download certificates for both test and production from https://www.skidsolutions.eu/en/repository/certs (opens new window).
- For test: https://www.skidsolutions.eu/en/services/testcard/test-certification-hierarchy/test-certification-hierarchy (opens new window)
- For production: https://www.skidsolutions.eu/en/repository/ (opens new window) - This has two different hierarchies.
# Test information
Signicat offers 24/7/365 free access to the test environment, https://preprod.signicat.com.
# Test cards
You can order test cards from https://www.skidsolutions.eu/en/services/testcard/ (opens new window).
Test cards for all active certificate authorities should be used, see the Certificates section. By the end of 2020, this means test cards versions 2015, 2017, and 2018. The last 2015 cards will expire during 2021 since Estonian ID cards have a validity time of 5 years.
# Register certificate
Before using the test card, you must register the certificates (both auth and sign certificate) in SK’s test infrastructure:
- Use the “ID-card utility” application that comes with the client software to save the certificates to disk in PEM format.
- Open the saved certificates in a text editor and copy the content to the clipboard.
- Go to https://demo.sk.ee/upload_cert/ (opens new window).
- Paste the certificate into the text area. Make sure the status is set to “Good”.
- Press “Upload the certificate”.
# Testing your production certificates
When you have your own configuration on Id.Signicat, you may test your merchant certificate for production. The test must be carried out by authenticating real users, or signing documents on your configuration for production.
# Browser/platform support
EstEID cards are supported by all major web browsers.
# Other sources
- Read more about EstEID at https://www.skidsolutions.eu/en (opens new window)
- You can find contack information to SK ID support at https://www.skidsolutions.eu/en/kontakt/ (opens new window)