# Email OTP
Signicat's Email OTP is a simple identification method based on one-time passwords (OTP) sent by email. This is a typical scenario:
- A user accesses a service that requires some sort of identification.
- A merchant sends an email with an OTP code to the user.
- The user enters the received code in the merchant's application.
- The merchant receives the user's email in the response from Signicat
Although this method alone does not provide a high level of security, from a technical standpoint there is nothing that prevents a merchant from using Email OTP as a standalone authentication method. However, it is more common and recommended to use this method to boost an existing login process. Email OTP integrated with any username/password login solution will form a two-factor authentication method.
# Use case example: Simple authentication during signing
The end-user is in a store and has accepted the merchant's offer to buy insurance for a purchased product. The merchant needs a signature from the buyer and sends the signature document via a URL. In this example, the merchant uses Email OTP as the sole authentication during the signature process.
- The user opens the document (URL) and selects Sign document.
- The user enters an email address. The OTP code is sent to the registered email address.
- The user enters the OTP code and selects Continue to sign the document.
# Integration via Signicat
Signicat Email OTP can be integrated into your application with minimal effort. The technical integration with the Email OTP service is identical to all other ID-solutions that Signicat supports. Through the single point of integration, you will get access to Signicat's wide portfolio of integrated ID methods.
There are a number of configuration possibilities for the Email OTP method, including:
- Possibility for the user to enter/change the email address before entering the OTP code.
- The length of the OTP codes, downward limited to 4, with no upper limit.
Here is a sketch of the data flow:
The authentication method name for Email OTP is scid-email.
# Getting started
Getting started with Email OTP is easy: You just need an agreement with Signicat. If you have any further questions, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.